REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE USE OF THE BADMINTON AND SQUASH FACILITIES UNDER THE PRESENT COVID 19 RESTRICTIONS
All players are requested to strictly adhere to the following. It is for your own safety and that of others.
1. Only 4 players (Badminton) and 2 players (Squash) per court.
2. No non-members, standbys, spectators or guests.
3. Pay attention to hand hygiene, cover mouth and nose with a tissue or elbow when sneezing /coughing and dispose of tissue in a closed bin.
4. Physical distancing of at least 1 metre and use of face mask when not playing.
5. Bring your own Towel/Tissues, water in a closed bottle and personal hand sanitizer. Consider using hand sanitizer between games.
6. Do not walk into the court area in your normal footwear. Leave them at the entrance
7. Change into your playing shoes on arrival at the courts.
8. No hanging around the courts before and after play.
9. All players must register giving name and address, and contact number.
10. Do not come to play if you have fever and/or respiratory symptoms such as cough, cold or sore throat.
11. Avoid sharing any equipment such as racquets, clothes etc.
12. Do not touch you face, nose, mouth and eyes at any time after handling shuttles, racquets, balls etc.
13. Avoid contact with others, such as hand shaking and high fives.
14. Hang your clothes in well-spaced hooks in the changing room.
1. Strictly on pre-book basis. First come first served.
2. Bookings will be accepted from 08th June 2020 during office hours.
3. Try to pay the exact amount to minimise cash handling.
Badminton & Squash
The first single court was built and donated by Deshamanya H. K. Dharmadasa, Chairman, Nawaloka Group on 02nd April 1988. Members soon took to the sport and with the growing demand the present twin court complex was built to international standard and commissioned on 01st March 2007.
Exco Member in charge: Gamini Jayasuriya - Secretary, SSC Badminton. Tel: 0722247109
- There are two (2) badminton courts
Badminton Court Rules:
- Court bookings are strictly on payment up-front.
- Member to ensure payment for his/her guest/s. No guest is allowed to play without the member’s presence.
- Proof of payment must be produced when requested by the stadium staff.
- Advance bookings: Payment must be made 48 hours prior to date/time booked. If not, it is considered cancelled.
- Cancellations: 48 Hour advance notice is required for paid & confirmed bookings. No refunds but alternate time slot/s may be arranged depending on the availability of courts.
- Member (or a member in the group) must record his membership number & sign the register kept in the courts for having used his booking.
- Non marking rubber sole shoes only are allowed on the courts.
- Strictly No food allowed inside the courts area.
- Warming up and down should be done outside the courts and not in playing area. Strictly no running inside the courts.
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited inside or outside the sports complex.
- No littering of courts. Used shuttles, empty bottles etc. must be put in the bins.
- Stadium Staff/Management reserves the right to not allow play if the above rules are not followed.
- Management is not responsible for the loss of your personal belongings.
- During Tournaments, all bookings will be cancelled with prior notice. Credit could be arranged with the next booking.
Level 1 Ranking Tournament, SSC Open is the biggest and the most colourful tournaments in the local badminton calendar. Over 35 Events for Men & Women, Girls & Boys of all age groups - under 11 to over 60 years. Highest Prize money, Trophies and Certificates for all winners and runners-up.
Open Hours & Charges
- Badminton courts are open from 6am. – 10pm.
- 6am – 9am & 4.30pm – 8.30pm are considered peak times.
A Qualified Badminton Marker – Mr. Shaffan is available during these times on six days of the week.
- SSC Members Peak Hours : Rs. 450 per court hour
- SSC Members Off Peak Hours : Rs. 400 per court hour
Guests : Rs. 150 per court hour
Schools and other recognized Institutions: Rs. 550 per court hour.
Coaching is available for beginners at Rs.1000 per hour
Latest Achievements 2022
The 12th Annual All Island Open Badminton Championship of Singhalese Sports Club, a Level 1 Ranking (Platinum) tournament, was held from September 23rd – October 02nd at the SSC Badminton Complex and MBA Indoor courts, Colombo 7.
SSC Open, the country's biggest and most popular badminton event, drew 1162 entries for 39 events covering all age groups, from Under 13 to Over 65. Men’s and Women’s Open Singles and Doubles, Open Mixed Doubles, Singles and Doubles for Boys and Girls under 19, 17, and 15. Singles for Boys and Girls under 13, Men and Women Veterans over 40 and 45 Singles and Doubles, Men’s Masters over 50, 55, 60, and 65 Singles and Doubles. Family Mixed Doubles were for Husband and Wife, Father and Daughter, or Mother and Son.
Cash prizes totaling over Rs.500,000.00, trophies, and certificates were awarded to the Winners and Runners-up. Semi-finalists received trophies and certificates. All quarter-finalists in the Under 15 and 13 age groups were presented with certificates to encourage their involvement in the game.
In the main open events, although the more experienced got the better of their opponents, Young Viren Netthasinghe sprang a surprise beating Sachin Dias in the Men’s Open Singles.
Women’s Open Singles Indonesian Rizma Violeta beat Nadeesha Gayanthi. Men’s Open Doubles the strong pair Sachin Dias/Buwaneka Gunathilake beat Rasindu Hendahewa/Viren Netthasinghe Women’s Open Doubles Thilini Hendahewa/Kavidi Sirimanna beat Natasha Gunasekera/Risma Violeta. Mixed Open Doubles Sachin Dias/Thilini Hendahewa beat Hasitha Chanaka/Nadeesha Gayanthi.
President Singhalese Sports Club, Mr. I. S. De Silva, was the Chief Guest at the Finals and Awards Ceremony.